Monday, November 29, 2004

Feel Good Hit of the Summer

I've been flicking through Windows Media Player and its 1069 songs, looking for a good blog title. This just happened to be the next song up, but its given me an opportunity to tell a story further revealing to the reader (cos I know theres only one, hi Grace) what a dork I am.
Heres a scene; the bar of the Crown Plaza, Central Auckland (where the Orcs are from), 2003, night before the Big Day Out. Me, Tam and a bunch of other people we drove to Auckland with are having a few drinks, and hanging out with such noted celebrities as Chino from The Deftones and PJ Harvey. Fun. So this tall guy comes over, and I bum a cigarette off him (back when I used to smoke) and we get talking. I notice hes American, so I ask if hes here for the BDO. Yeah, kind of he replies. So are you in a band, or are you crew. I'm in a band, he says. What band? asks Claire innocently. I'm the singer in Queens of the Stone Age, my names Josh Homme. Oh, cool. I really like your new tune (Claire proceeds to sing "No One Knows" to him). I guess thats not particularly cool of me to not recognise you, is it. No, don't worry about it, can I buy you a beer? Go on then, Josh, that'd be grand.
They were one of the headline bands, their videos were all over the telly, and still I had no idea.
Nice bloke though.

But back to the topic at hand. Hang on, we didn't have one yet.
What did I want to talk about today?

Last night I went to see Shaun of the Dead. Funny. Especially the fact that it takes Shaun quite some time to realise that everyones a zombie. I also made a decidedly scrummy lamb salad for my friend, cos I am an awesomely good cook.

I went to the Fetish Ball on Saturday. A bit of a diversion from one's usual Saturday night activities, but dressing up is fun. I have to admit, I was a little shocked at some of it. There were things there that I felt I really should not have been seeing, but I think that was the point, what with voyeurism being a fetish in itself. There was a bondage area that was a little disturbing, people standing around watching other people getting off on being physically hurt. Takes all sorts, I suppose. There was a guy wearing a leather outfit from head to toe that had spikes sticking out of it, there was a woman wearing a catwoman outfit that had a hole cut in it in a most unseemly spot, presumably to show off the piercings she had there. Ouch. I wonder what her gynacologist would say about that?
There were also three harem girls accompanied by a blue genie, my friends, who should have won some sort of costume prize, I think. I also think I should have got a prize for cleaning all the blue body paint off my bathroom the next day, but I did invite everybody over to get ready together, so I can't complain. In my knee-high boots, black Cleopatra wig, short skirt and top, I was remarkably conservatively dressed compared to some other punters, especially the guy that was stark naked.
Its a whole other world, which was fun to visit for a night, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there. Kind of freaky.
So to compensate for Saturday night, on Sunday I went to my sisters house, read bedtime stories to the children and played with the kittens. Ask a two-year-old what she wants to name her kitten, and its usually going to be an interesting response, so now Rosie has a kitten called Neow. Yes, a meow sound. This is from the family who previously had a cat called Dude. I guess the fact that they share a little DNA with me is going to surface eventually.

Anyway, I've started the applications for grad school. Argh. One has been sent off already, and another two are nearly ready. The problem is, I can't remember what schools I put down on my GRE form to recieve my scores, and I called the number this morning to find out what my scores were (they said to call after the 27th) and they're not ready! Fuck. I had got all psyched up for it, and then nothing. Arse.
I'm also supposed to rewrite the dataset for the project, the same dataset I believe I've finished about five times already! What sucks about this is that it won't be my intellectual property, even though I'm doing all the work.
And all I really want to do is sleep, cos I had a completely bollocks sleep last night. But I have to do some work on the dataset, and then get myself to work by 4.30, so that I can work until midnight! Fun fun.

Maybe I'll have a wee nap. Bollocks to The Man, he can just bloody well wait for his dataset.