Saturday, November 20, 2004

This Blog, Part One

Things that are awesome.
1) Interpol. I've just listened to my Interpol cd and liked it so much, I'm listening to it again.
2) Having a big ol' house in the hills all to oneself, and being able to sit out on the deck and look out over this beautiful city and laugh at the poor people living on the flat. Ha.
3) Slippers.
4) Tea and toast with Marmite. The Marmite goes on the toast, not in the tea. Although...
5) Orange Martinis last night at Di Lusso, although they had apparently run out of oranges so the nice barman couldn't put caramelised orange zest on the top. They were still yum.
6) Texting. I am constantly amazed that we managed to attain this level of civilisation without cell phones.
7) Garage sales. Whilst getting picked up by my sister at 6.30 am to go to her in-laws for our joint garage sale was a bit of a struggle, especially when one had got home from work at 1am, its pretty nice to have people give you money for crap that you would have thrown away otherwise.
8) Having a job where after a busy night, one can crack open a Corona to make clean up and cash up that much more enjoyable. Then clocking out and having a few more Coronas with ones very cool workmates.
9) My thesis. It both kicks arse and takes names. In an academic kind of way.

This Blog, Part Two.

(after some ice-breaking conversation in a group of friends)
Me: I'm still mad at you, by the way.
Lying Bastard: Yeah, thats fair enough. I'm sorry.
Me: I saw her, your new girl.
LB: Oh yeah?
Me: The fact that you would choose her over me tells me all I need to know about you.
LB: ......
Me: (feeling all empowered and awesome) Nighty night then!
LB: (looking like he'd lost lost the winning lottery ticket) Yeah, bye.
Me: (inwardly) Go Claire!!!

This Blog, Part Three.

I'm at that point of the day where its time for the standard Sunday mission into town to recover my car (see above note re: Coronas), but its got all windy and I've had five hours sleep and I really can't be shagged getting on my bike, going all the way into town in a head wind to get the bloody thing, when I could just bus to work tonight. Ooooooo. Bus! Public transport!! How novel.

I got home at 5.30 this morning, which is fine, cos having a big sleep was top of my list of things-to-do-on-Sunday. But then 10.30 came around, and I was wide awake. Go figure. I see a nana nap in my near future.

Last night at work was a record breaker. Previously 299 was the maximum number of diners, and we'd done that several times, but last night we made 314.
Thats over 314 meals, because people are inclined to have several courses. I can't even comprehend that. Imagine cooking 300 meals. Especially given that everything is made from scratch, and that those meals were all done over the space of about 4 hours. Say 4 1/2 hours. Thats 270 minutes. Thats over a meal a minute. Phew. I'm tired just thinking about it.

I have to go now and start my US graduate school applications. Part of it involves writing a personal statement, which is a bit harder than it sounds. How do you tell academics that you are far more awesome than your academic record suggests, without sounding like a complete dork. The fact that I am a complete dork is an additional handicap.

Dork is a funny word.

Help.