Tuesday, November 30, 2004

My Lungs are Raw

It really is quite obscene, how unfit I am. Normally my exercise consists of running up the stairs to my office (4th floor, not exactly a workout), after which I require a cup of tea and a lie down. However, all that is about to change, as I have gone and committed myself to competing as part of a team in a triathalon in February.
After a couple of wines the other night after work, P & J asked if I was keen to join their team, and of course, not realising what I was getting myself into, said yes. So now I've got until Waitangi day to be able to bike 10 kms, remarkably fast, because of course we have to win.
This morning I biked from my house to university in less than 20mins, and its nearly 7 kms. Not exactly a record breaker, but given that its my first day of training, I'm not too worried. When I got off my bike though, my legs were all wobbly, which was kind of funny, and a strange feeling. I was going as fast as I could, and got remarkably puffed, which I believe is a good sign, especially if the amount of puffed-ness decreases over the next couple of months.
Not being an expert on physical fitness, I'm kind of bluffing my way through this, but I figure if I bike 10kms a few times a week, and try and get faster each time, then I'm doing ok. Oh, and possibly lay off the nachos a bit too, which might be tricky.
Damn, now I want nachos.