Friday, April 09, 2004

Julius Caesar has a blog.

And then...
A little revisionist history:
After personally landing his jet fighter on the USS Buck Passer, President Bush gave an earthshattering speech. "Admiral Kelly, Captain Card, officers and sailors of the USS Buck Passer, my fellow 'muricans: a major FUBAR in Iraq has just begun. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have really fucked things up. (Applause.) And now our campaign donors are engaged in securing contracts and pretending to reconstruct that country while not getting too shot up."
via.

Anyway, I've been faffing about on this new-fangled internet thing, and found a cool blog. I like her style.

Sarah tried to join me up on NZ dating.com. One of two things is happening here. Either, shes sick of hanging around with me all the time and wants me to get a boyfriend, or shes attempting to live vicariously through me. I'm hoping its #2 there, if so, I think I'll join her up. Might be good for shits and giggles. See who (or what!) they set her up with.

In other news, my thesis has had about 1 hours attention all day. I did manage to watch, with the assistance of the aforementioned Sarah, "Runaway Jury" (John Cusack is scrummy. And the perfect height for me, 6'4"), "Fatal Attraction" (Men have seen it, and continue to have affairs. What?) and "Scary Movie 2" (Moo!! Motherfucker!!). Much hilarity.
Speaking of movies, I went to see Monster the other day. I wrote a big rant about it, but couldn't post it, flatties on the dog&bone, so here it be.

Motherfucker.
What a….thing.
I have just come from watching “Monster”, am gradually beginning to recover from the initial stunned mullet phase, and am attempting to summon appropriate superlatives for descriptive purposes.
Its almost like you can’t talk about it properly.
Its not a movie you enjoy; like “Requiem for a Dream” and “Boys Don’t Cry”, it is something you rather experience, and appreciate.
There has been much talk about the film’s leading lady, and how the only way a woman can be taken seriously as an actress is to get all “uglied up”, but I am stunned at her performance. There is only so much that prosthetics can do to a face, but to turn such a beautiful woman into that character takes some significant….I don’t know what it is, but from looking at her face, you can see that she radiates ugliness, and not in a mean way, but an ugliness that is a reaction to the treatment she has received from the world. In repose, you can see glimpses of the actress you see in the magazines, all blonde and blue-eyed and beautiful, but as soon as she speaks, or even moves, all traces vanish, and she becomes this other thing.
It certainly raises many questions about the reason why people are the way they are, and whether should she have been granted a certain leniency given the life she was thrown into, but I don’t think I even want to go there, not yet anyway.
I do wonder though, if a similar treatment of a male character in the same situation would raise the same questions. Not that it’s a reverse type of misogyny, but do we believe that women are more bound by their circumstances than men?
Or perhaps the question is, is it possible for a man to live the same life as she did? Can a man be made such a victim of those around him?
Maybe that’s the difference between her and all the other poor sad women who live similar lives: she refused to become a victim.
I refuse to believe that we are not masters of our own destiny, but sometimes its hard to gauge what decision you are making. Sometimes the really small ones are the ones that change the course of your whole life.
And of course life throws all sorts of interesting things in our paths along the way.
This is all a bit too philosophical for this hour of the day really.
I’m going to bed now, hopefully by tomorrow I’ll have thought of some funny jokes, liven things up a bit.
Snuggles.

Still can't seem to properly get my head around it.
That happens quite a lot, its a curse being a simple wee creature.

Its 1.25am, and The X Files is on. Oh, how the mighty have fallen!