Saturday, August 28, 2004

Sunday Funday

Hello.
I wrote a huge big rant the other day because the whole me-being-Dorian-Gray thing prompted me to explain my shameful secret. But Blogger ate it. Bad Blogger. Anyway, here we go.
The thing is, I don't really know what the word is to describe what I am. I have a prejudice.
I have tried to overcome it; searched for childhood traumas that may have prompted it; attempted to confront it face-to-face; but I know I still have a long way to go. The thing is, I don't like ugly people. My secret is out!!!! I am an Aestheticist (the best word I have come up with so far to explain it, Ugliest insinuates a completely different problem).
At work I find it quite an issue. I am forced, by the nature of my job, to be nice to people whose physical appearance offends my delicate sensibilities. Its probably quite helpful in terms of overcoming my wee problem, but sometimes its just painful. Cos some people are really fucking ugly.
And the thing is, I don't really put too much effort into my own appearance either. Most of the time I'm in jeans and t-shirt or equivalent, the other day I was working in my office in my exceptionally stunning red trackies. I wear make-up about six or seven times a year, skirt and heels about the same. Occasionally I have been known to get out the flash hair-do thingy and straighten my hair all pretty, but I really can't be fucked most of the time. Thats why we have hair-ties. If I was one of these girls that spent hours a day on their appearance then one could understand this prejudice I have, but if I was one of those girls then I would be in dire need of some more work to do. Or a stern talking to about priorities. I digress.
I realise that my arguments regarding this matter are thin at best, which is why I need help. Help me overcome my ugly-phobia!! Allow me to see the inner beauty in people, no matter how hard they try to hide it with their awful hair and ill-fitting clothes and sour expressions.
Actually, I know that there are some people who are completely without beauty in any form, and they should be taken out back and shot, but thats just me.

In other news, my mood has improved somewhat.
The Bourne Supremacy is good, although quite hard to watch at some points cos it goes all jumpy. I love that Kiwi actors are turning up everywhere. Taking over the world, one movie sequel at a time.
The GRE is going to be mind-bendingly difficult, especially given that I need to score over 700 to be taken seriously by these schools I'm applying for. Thats 87.5%. UhOh.
Good new tunes, in no particular order: "Run" by Snow Patrol; "The Rat" by The Walkmen; "In a Cage on Prozac" by My Red Cell (also wins "coolest song title" prize). I have also recently reacquired a copy of the sublimely beautiful "Papua New Guinea" by the Future Sound of London. On my top five songs of all time list, thats how good it is!! Fucking awesome.
I've also been listening to Bomb the Bass (cool) and Interpol (cool), which I recommend.
While we're discussing music, heres a funny way to pass a rainy Sunday. You will need a male friend, and his girlfriend. Go up to the girlfriend and put your hand on her shoulder. Double over with mirth as the male friend sings "Get your hands off my woman, motherfucker" in his best falsetto Justin-from-The-Darkness impersonation. Hours of fun to be had.
That is all. You can go now.