Saturday, September 11, 2004

Icky Germs

I am in bed, and I have the flu. Usually I am the first to mock sick people (actually, any people, but stay on topic) because when theres nasty flu type bugs about, those around me are dropping like flies, and I get a 2 day cold. However, it appears the flu gods have caught on to my ways, and are thereby punishing me for my previously sturdy immune system.
My sister's girls have had a nasty flu, and Sami has been off school for a week, which sucks, because what I remember of school when I was six was that it was awesome fun. I have now been in bed for three days, and what really blows is that I missed my stats test on Saturday morning. I went to the doc on Friday afternoon to get an impaired performance thing, and he said I have the flu and gave me some pills to stop my cough at night so that I could sleep, and then when I woke up on Saturday morning to go to my test, I sat up and everything went black. So I tried that again a few times, with no improvements, before coming to the realisation that if I couldn't sit up, I couldn't get to uni, and sure as shit couldn't sit a test. Hopefully my aegrotat application will be accepted.
So the last few days have involved a lot of sitting in bed watching movies (am loving having tv, vcr and dvd in my bedroom, and I think they may stay here) and sleeping and chilling out, which is probably good for me mentally as well as physically.
I have to go back to work tonight, which may be interesting, cos I'm all wobbly, and when I try and walk end up crashing into doorframes etc, cos I can't go straight. So no doubt someone tonight will end up wearing someone elses dinner. Fun.
I'm guessing I have to go back to uni and do some work tomorrow, the conference in October is drawing steadily closer, and the project is nowhere near finished. Also, all the numbers I have to do on recurrence comparisons have been neglected in favour of quality snoozing and telly time in an attempt to rid myself of these flu germs.
The thing is, when you get sick you've got to strike a balance somewhere, between taking time out to get better, and keeping on doing what you need to do. If you're one of these tough guys "Takes more than a wee flu to stop me" types, then you end up screwing yourself, cos if you don't take time out to get better, then you'll end up being sick for longer, or get worse. Then of course, if you drop everything and climb into bed for a week, all your work gets neglected completely, and you're screwing yourself another way. So I'm figuring three days is a happy medium, and hopefully tomorrow I'll be back at my desk.
In other news, last night I watched "Unfaithful". Diane Lane is one classy bird, and I am extremely jealous of her, cos shes got to snog Viggo Mortensen ("A Walk on the Moon") AND Olivier Martinez, who, once he leaves that skanky ho Kylie "I have very little musical talent so am relying on selling my arse to make money" Minogue, will be mine, I tell you, MINE!!!!!
Hmmm. (The doctor said I might get a little delusional)
But really, who on earth would choose Richard Gere (short, middle-aged, funny-looking) over Mr Tall, Dark, Handsome and Foreign? He's French!!! What more could you want!!!!
Have a smashing day, won't you.