Thursday, September 23, 2004

Oh Yeah!!

I am one very happy chicken right about now.
Given my inclination to work in my office, instead of out in the computer room where all the plebs reside, I have been working on my laptop for quite some time now.
Anyone who has worked for any length of time on a laptop will be aware of the repercussions for ones physical well-being; ie you're hunched over a screen, your ergonomics are all wrong and you end up finishing the day with a sore neck, wrists and hands from the silly mouse thing and not having the screen raised.
Well, those days are over!
I just called Campus Computers to enquire about the cost of a USB keyboard, given that the keyboard I had liberated from a colleague's office wouldn't work on my laptop, and I was expecting it to cost anywhere from $50 to $100.

Claire: How much is a USB keyboard?
Campus Computer Guy: $15.
Claire: No, I want to buy one.
CCG: $15
Claire: No, I mean to keep, so that when I leave university I can take it with me.
CCG: $15.
Claire: Are you taking the piss?
CCG: No.

So off I hopped to Campus Computers, where I purchased a brand-spanking new keyboard, a brand-spanking new USB mousie, and a bunch of blank CDs, and I still only spent less than $70.
Yay for me, I love a bargain.
I have the laptop on a pile of file boxes in front of me, and a proper mouse (with a cool red light on it that flashes sometimes), and a RSI preventing keyboard (with some cool yellow lights on it).
Now I have my work station all set up and have no more excuses for being slack.
Oh dear.
I have to go now and think of some more excuses for being slack.