Thursday, September 30, 2004

OOOOOOOOOOOH PISS!!!

I have just submitted my online application for a Fulbright Scholarship. Argh. Fuck. Shit.
I'm hoping that once they've picked themselves up from the floor, and managed to stop laughing long enough to actually read my application, they might all sit round, smoke a gigantic cone, and decide that it would be a really good idea this year, instead of selecting people on academic records, their criteria will consist of candidates ability to sing all the words to REM's "Its the end of the world as we know it", whip up an authentic Greek meal, fit as many original swear words into a sentence as possible, do the patented Claire booty-shake dance, have the most puking hangover, and have the longest arms in the room. If that were the case, I may well have a proverbial's chance in hell. Otherwise, I've just wasted three days. Oh well.
Last night I went to cheer on the mighty Aqua Marine Plastic Cups soccer team, who were kicking arse and taking names. I could never be a cheerleader though. One presumes that cheerleaders require, well, cheer. I'm not so much with the cheer. I would, however, be a remarkable booleader. Like "Hey you! Other team! You blow goats! Get off the court and let some soccer be played. And you've all got fat arses! Piss off!"
I received and email this morning from a chap at Stanford that impressed me mightily. You see, I'm not normally one who's impressed by fame. Not the TV kind of fame we get in these parts, anyway. But being the gigantic geek that I am however, receiving personal emails from people whos work I have studied, who have been cited in my thesis, and who I generally think are pretty cool, impresses me. I get all starstruck. Like when that guy from Yale emailed me to say I could use his graph in my thesis, the guy who runs the World Bank's Economics of Civil War project, I nearly peed myself.
This mornings email was regarding one I had sent yesterday, asking a professor of political science at Stanford how I could improve my chances of being accepted in his school. He sent one straight back, saying that it sounded like I was able to write a decent statement of intent, which was really important in an application, and wished me good luck!! I think I actually shrieked. And I'm not a big shrieker.
But he also suggested that I apply for about a dozen schools. Given that each application costs $70-100 US, I was originally intending to apply for about 5. So if you all want to give me hideous amounts of money, it improves my chances of going to America, and thereby leaving you all alone. Actually no, cos I'll still bug you all in blogspace. But its a start.
And with that, I'm off to do some real work. Heehee.
24 sleeps to go.
15 days until conference.
Shit.

Very cool word for the day: Macademized.
Listening to Bomb the Bass is educational.