Saturday, October 16, 2004

Give Quiche a Chance

I've been schmoozing, conference styles. No really, I have, and now one of the most important figures in conflict resolution not only knows my name, but laughed at my (lame) joke, joined me in mocking the guy I work for, and is working on the same project as me. Admittedly I am a lowly research assistant, and he is the external examiner of possibly the biggest social science research project in the country, but still. I was trying to explain to my dear sister just how famous and cool this guy was, so given her love of all things rugby, I told her that if this was the All Blacks, he would be at least Sean Fitzpatrick, if not Colin Meads. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head.
What a geek I am. Oh yes, embrace the geek within.
Tell you what though, there are some severe aesthetic crimes going on in the academic world. Maybe its my dysmorphobia (yes, its a real thing) rearing its ugly head, but really. Its not that hard to brush the dandruff off your jacket, get a haircut and some glasses that don't make you look like a serial killer, and not pull your pants up to your armpits. Its bloody lucky that I'm here in my cool shoes and pretty skirt, to balance everything out. Ha. This from she who turns up to university on a regular basis in her trackies!! Pot paging kettle.
But conferences are fun, I have discovered, and so far this weekend has suceeded in reaffirming that this is what I want to do. Also, I recieved an offer to attend the University of Alabama. Hmm.
Anyway, got some more schmoozing to be done.