Saturday, June 05, 2004

(Insert witty and engaging title here)

I'm a generally unfuckwitted, liberal, tight as fuck, relatively well adjusted human being!
See how compatible you are with me!
Brought to you by Rum and Monkey

Yes, I've been really busy!! No really, I have. I have spent the last five or so hours searching through the web, trying to find data from the early 1990s on the indicators I have come up with to prove my point. It seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to find data on imports and exports as percentage of GDP, conventional arms transfers, internally displaced persons and proportion of primary commodity goods of total exports from 1991 in Rwanda, Djibouti, Angola, Sierra Leone and Cambodia, but surprisingly enough, its a bit tricksier that anticipated. And so its after 7pm on a Saturday, and I'm not out partying, but sitting at a computer with a hot water bottle on my feet like the old nana that I am, doing work. But hey, only 25 more days of geekdom, then I get sweet, glorious sleep!!! Oh yeah.
I must admit, I am a little intimidated by Soma's ability to churn words out at an alarming rate. Little buggers going to be finished before me!! Nevermind, he doesn't have people at the World Bank who want to read his thesis. Probably doesn't want them either, but thats beside the point!!
The wee brain is going bananas over all these universities that Dr Supervisor wants me to apply to for a PhD. So I'm trying really hard to not think about it, and instead think about all these numbers I have to make sense of in order to finish this degree, before I can even think about starting another.
Its kind of funny, or maybe kind of sad (insert song here), that in the few years that I was not at uni, I was hanging to get back here, and now its nearly time to leave, I'm trying to plan another degree!! I'm sure its a defence mechanism, so that I never have to go out into the big bad world and make my own way, but it is also true that I am a nerd. Always have been, always will be. I've got the glasses and everything to prove it.
I have been at school for nearly 21 years. Not too bad, given that I've just turned 28. So if I get into one of these flash PhD programmes, thats another five years. 26 years of school. Wow. "Claire: reaching new heights of nerdity since 1980".
Anyhoo.
Better go make some sense of all this data. What a Saturday night. Rock on.