Thursday, June 17, 2004

Mmmmmm. Thesis.

In the last two days I have managed to crank out 37 pages of final-copy-version thesis from all the boxes full of disorderly scribbles that decorate my office and clutter up my hard drive.
This is a good thing and a bad thing.
Good thing: It has been not too excruciating, it makes sense, says what I want to say and sounds reasonably academic without being a wank-fest.
Bad thing: I have written nearly ten thousand words, and completed one full chapter and two-thirds of another. Which means, I have about thirty thousand words left (give or take a few thousand) to write all the case studies, which is probably about 10-15 thou, plus the assessment, about 10 thou, plus chapter four giving an analysis of outcome, about another 5-10 thou, plus the summary and conclusion, plus the introduction. So, in reality, I have about 40 thousand words left of thesis that needs to be written, and approximately 30 thousand words in which to say it. Bugger.
Some geezer once said that brevity is the soul of wit, but I guess he neglected to mention that it sure as shit is not the soul of academia.
Example: "Immediately post conflict, there exists a range of needs that must be met in a time sensitive manner for the sake of stability. As noted above, violent civil conflict possesses the ability to divide and destroy societies, to render the state ineffectual in the delivery of basic services, and create extreme poverty. To reduce the risk of conflict reoccurring, post conflict recovery must deliver results that address the causes of conflict, and are easily visible to those involved in the conflict".
When really, all you need to say is: "Make projects work fast, or they'll start killing each other again, and then you're really in the shit".
But thats the joy of it really, why say something in ten words when you can use 45? But I think if I handed in something written in my normal potty-mouth style, it would get handed right back. After 15 months, I suppose I had better make it not suck, plus, it makes me sound cleverer than I really am. Hence all the big words.
Theres a fairly significant chance that in the next couple of weeks all I will be ranting about is my thesis (gosh Claire, that'll make a nice change!!), but given that I'm writing the final copy, I'm sure you can all get over it in time. Either that, or stop reading for a few days. Presuming of course, that you are reading....

In other news: Brickbat to some crap orchestra in Macau who didn't give a job to my cousin the musical genius. Don't worry Stacey, they'll already be kicking themselves, cos you are awesome. As is my sister.

That is all.