Wednesday, February 09, 2005

This light is here, to keep you warm...

I'm in the strangest of moods at the moment. No, maybe mood is the wrong word. Everything has taken on somewhat of a surreal character, like someones shifted the furniture and put it all back slightly differently, and changed the lightbulbs so they're a little brighter but not quite enough to make one exclaim "gosh, who changed the lightbulbs, its very bright in here" but just enough for everything to take on a slightly different quality.
I was talking to a friend yesterday who is in a similar position to me at the moment, in that things are really going to change soon, but we're not really in any position to appreciate it. I feel like there are opportunities everywhere at the moment, and things are really starting to roll, but I'm completely up to my eyeballs in work and can't take the time to process it all.
In the next two months I start tutoring first years, present my first conference paper in Brisbane, find out whether I will be going to the South of France to present another paper, submit my thesis, get letters from all the universities I applied to saying either fuck off or please come and study here and heres a big barrel of money for you, and end my 11 year career in hospitality (3 weeks to go). Thats quite a lot of stuff, especially for someone for whom daily life is usually a bit of a challenge anyway.
Don't go thinking I'm not happy about any of this, cos its all so fucking awesome I can barely believe it, I'm just a little intimidated by the magnitude of imminent events. I've worked really hard to get here though, and I haven't stomped on anyone along the way (except those that deserved a good stomping, and a couple of bugses) and its really cool to see things hopefully fingers crossed please turning up.
Sometimes one has those moments where everything is just so good that it seems like its all going to come crashing down in a big twisted torn bloodied brittle vicious avalanche because experience suggests just that. One is having one of those moments now.
Who knows.
Anyway, hopefully next time there'll be a bit less introspection.

In random news, I have Monty Python's song "Never Be Rude To An Arab" running through my head, and have done so since this morning.

*wanders off, humming*