Monday, February 09, 2004

On the finishing of chapters

It is good. I think its a feeling reserved especially for the thesis writer. Ok, so I've only done two chapters, I've got four more to do, and four and a half months in which to do them, but still. I'm feeling pretty good.

I feel like I should have my two cents on the whole "Fight Club" thing.
Here it is. Its a movie about men, masculinity and constructs thereof, and social pressures on men and masculinity. So, my own particular brand of logic dictates that obviously, men are going to get more out of it than women, because it is designed for them.
I don't expect any man in the world to try and understand how important certain movies are to me, because they are unashamedly designed for women. That neither improves on nor detracts from them, it just makes them different.
Now I love Fight Club, I think its a fine movie, but it makes one conscious of elements of popular culture that I feel are, while not being wrong, are misinformed. If you see a protagonist in a movie, they are generally identified as male, and are given to represent, more often than not, the human condition, while female characters are either objects for male attention, or representing the female condition, whatever that is. The problem I have with this insinuation is that somehow male is normal, while female is considered other. In a way, Fight Club represents the rebranding of culture, claiming the male as distinct from the human, but I think that this goes over most people's heads.
Or perhaps most people have more important things to think of.