Thursday, May 13, 2004

Things I have acheived today

F.A.
Not good. I am halfway through rewriting a chapter according to the comments of one of my supervisors, who observes that I need to write more simply and clearly. But I like adjectives, they're my favourite sort of words!!! I think perhaps its a not-very-subconscious attempt to make me sound cleverer than I actually am, although it will take a lot more than a few adjectives to pull that off.
I am tempted to fill in some job applications, but they're just so difficult!! Like: "describe a situation where you had to work in a team. How did you contribute to the team and what was the outcome?". Well, I did what I was told, and everything came up roses. Pretty simple really, but not exactly endearing myself to potential employers. My particular favourite is "Describe a situation in which you were confronted by a problem. How did you approach the problem, how was it resolved, and how do you feel about the outcome?" Well, I didn't do nearly enough work in the first few months, and then I ended up changing my thesis topic, and now I have less than 7 weeks to finish my thesis. Thats a problem. As for how I intend to approach the problem? Aside from griping about it in my blog, I am working my not-inconsiderable arse off spending 14 hours a day working on it, sustained by the thought of the big sleep I will get to have in July. Outcome? How about I get back to you later. Ok? Cool.

Aside: Its not Americans that I object to. Its the hypocrisy, opportunism, cultural imperialism and arrogance that is being demonstrated by your current administration. It makes me even madder (real word?) due to the current state of the world, the actions of the US affect us all, but the rest of us have no say in choosing who leads the free world. I just REALLY REALLY HOPE AND FUCKING PRAY AND AM TEMPTED TO SELL ORGANS TO RAISE MONEY FOR...(insert the nice men in the white coats with the pretty coloured pills)
Ahem. Please do the rest of the world a favour and get rid of him, vote for the other guy (Whats his name?). I know you didn't actually vote for him in the first place, but as the bumper sticker says, "If you're not completely appalled, you haven't been paying attention". Go on.

In other news, I got the most excellent book the other day, called "Taking the Piss" (high up on my top ten favourite phrases): Your A-Z guide to outsnobbing the wine snobs" by Genevieve LaRue (cool name). Its full of great definitions such as:

Corkscrew: an Irish prostitute, or as W.C. Fields once cried, 'What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch'
Gay-Lussac: a French poof
Procrastination: the art of saving your best wine until all the guests have left
Spumante: Italian for being sick

Plus a whole section on farting, apparently something to do with port.
My point for bringing up the book anyway, was to finish up with a quote for the day, from Diogenes: "I fear the man who drinks water, and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night".